World Cup security guard dies after ‘fall’ while on duty at the Lusail Stadium


A Kenyan security guard who collapsed while on duty at Qatar’s Lucille Stadium has died in hospital, family and Kenyan officials have confirmed to CNN.

His sister Ann Wanjiro said her employer had informed the migrant worker’s family on Saturday that 24-year-old John Njui Kibuhe had fallen from the eighth floor of the stadium while on duty.

“We don’t have the money to get him justice, but we want to know what happened,” he told CNN.

A medical certificate obtained by CNN shows he was admitted to the intensive care unit (ICU) at Hamad General Hospital in Doha. Njue had “severe head injuries, facial and pelvic fractures,” the document said.

World Cup organizers – the Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy – announced Kiboue’s death in a statement.

It is stated in this statement: “It is with great regret that we announce that despite the efforts of his medical team, he unfortunately passed away on Tuesday, December 23, at Dar Fani Hospital after three days in the intensive care unit.”

“His next of kin have been notified. We offer our sincere condolences to his family, colleagues and friends at this difficult time.”

John Njwa Kiboe at Lusail Stadium.

Earlier this week, the committee announced that Kiboe suffered a serious fall while on duty.

“Qatar tournament organizers are investigating the circumstances leading to the crash as a matter of urgency and will provide further information pending the outcome of the investigation,” it said in a statement.

“We will also ensure that his family receives all the dues.”

His medical records showed he had been unconscious since Saturday and connected to a machine to help him breathe. A family member was informed of his death on Monday morning.

But the guard’s family says his Qatari employer, Al-Sarayeh Security Services, has not explained how he fell or any of the circumstances surrounding his death.

We want justice. We want to know the cause of his death. They have never sent us a picture of where he fell or any other information.

After the death of this guard, CNN has contacted the security services of Al-Sarayeh and has not yet received a response.

The Kenyan embassy in Qatar said in a statement to CNN that it is aware of the matter and is “providing the necessary consular assistance while awaiting formal communication from the Qatari High Commission and the relevant authorities”.

The guard’s family says he moved to Qatar last November to sign a contract with the Al-Sarayeh Security Service.

A WhatsApp message seen by CNN was sent to his colleagues at other World Cup stadiums asking for help.

“He came here to support his family, but unfortunately his dreams ended today,” the article reads in part. Let’s do something for our dear friend.

He is the second migrant worker to die since the tournament began in the Gulf nation after another was killed in an accident at a resort used by Saudi Arabia during the group stage.


Also Read :  Nam June Paik Documentary Acquired for World Sales by Dogwoof

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Related Articles

Back to top button