On Tuesday, DC Studios CEO James Gunn gave us a look at DC Studios’ upcoming movies and home theater max TV shows featuring well-known characters like Batman and Supergirl, as well as lesser-known characters like Booster Gold, Creature Commandos, and The Authority.
The upcoming film Superman: Legacy will serve as the “real beginning” of the reborn superhero universe. A new actor will replace Henry Cavill as Iron Man in the film, which is scheduled for release on July 11, 2025.
Just like the Marvel Cinematic Universe has “phases” (entering Phase 5 this year), DC’s upcoming movie is titled Gods and Monsters. Gunn and DC CEO Peter Safran revealed that the same actors will play the same characters in film and TV, so you won’t confuse one person playing The Flash on TV with another on the big screen. But they also confirmed that there is still room for different versions of certain characters, such as the already confirmed sequels starring Robert Pattinson’s Batman and Joaquin Phoenix’s Joker.
Gunn, also known for his directing and writing work, listed the original Chapter 1 plans on a list that included the film and HBO Max show:
- biological commando A seven-episode animated series written by Gunn.
- Waller In the live-action spinoff of the HBO Max series Peacemaker (which in turn is a spinoff of the Suicide Squad movie), Viola Davis is the head of a covert government task force.
- Superman: Legacy Written by Gunn, no henry cavill Being a hero doesn’t make it into an origin story. Instead, the movie will focus on Superman “balancing his Kryptonian heritage with his human upbringing,” according to Safran. Image via artist Frank Quitely and author Grant Morrison beloved all star superman comic book story Shown when Gunn talks about it.
- lantern Follow Green Lantern Hal Jordan and John Stewart in the HBO Max TV series. Inspired by True Detective, this superpowered space cop drama follows our heroes as they solve mysteries on Earth.
- authority A film about extreme superheroes willing to use “any means necessary” to protect the planet. Ironically, The Authority began as a satire of DC superheroes, including parodied versions of Superman and Batman in a romantic relationship, but DC bought publisher Wildstorm and eventually absorbed the characters into mainstream DC In comic continuity.
- paradise lost A series set on Wonder Woman’s island of Themyscira, inspired by Game of Thrones.
- brave and bold The film will introduce the DCU’s new Batman and the most annoying Robin: his son Damian Wayne, who was raised by the assassins.Gunn calls Damian his favorite Robin who inspired the film Grant Morrison’s comic runThe film’s Batman won’t be played by Robert Pattinson, who played the role in last year’s film batman.
- booster money A beloved series in which a loser from the future uses futuristic technology to return to the present and become a superhero. According to Gunn, it’s “a superhero story with imposter syndrome.”
- Supergirl: The Woman of Tomorrow A movie about Superman’s cousin. The sci-fi story, based on author Tom King’s 2022 comic book series, will highlight how Supergirl’s difficult childhood made her transformation more intense than Superman’s. Whether Sasha Calle will play Supergirl in the upcoming Flash movie has yet to be confirmed.
- swamp thing A horror movie that will end the movie and the opening stages of the show. Swamp Thing had live-action appearances in two ’80s movies, a ’90s TV show, and a short-lived 2019 series.
Gunn didn’t mention any casting details for the new series’ Superman or Batman.
Last October, Gunn and Safran Responsible Bringing Superman, Batman and other DC Comics characters into new film, television, animation and video game projects under the restructured division of Warner Bros. Discovery.
The newly announced movie project isn’t the only DC film on the horizon. Shazam: Wrath of the Gods Released on March 17, flash in theaters June 16 (and will reset the continuity), Blue Beetle August 18, Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom It is scheduled to take place on December 25th.
Beyond that, there are two more Batman-inspired movies in the works with sequels: 2019’s clown and the 2022 batmanThe latter will be titled “Batman 2,” separate from the “Brave and the Bold,” and will hit theaters on October 3, 2025, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
Although last October black adam Tried to establish Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson as a leading figure in the DC universe — and brought in Cavill back to superman – johnson won’t come back On DC’s new movie and Cavill’s initial stages didn’t reprise his role as superman.
On the TV side, the HBO Max series peacemaker — 2021 spin-off film suicide squad – will return second seasonthe ninth and final season of The Flash kicks off on February 9, with season three superman and lois Beginning in March, Colin Farrell’s Batman Penguin also has his own performance.The animated series Harley Quinn is renewed for a fourth seasonand are getting Valentine’s Day Special.
However, the Titans and the Doom Patrol will end after season fourThe second installment of the two seasons is scheduled to hit HBO Max later this year.
Gunn also has a project from DC rival Marvel: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 —— Issue 32 marvel cinematic universe movies ——in theaters on May 5.
New Movies Coming in 2023 from Marvel, Netflix, DC, and More
view all photos