For immediate release: Thursday, November 17, 2022
Contact person: [email protected]
NARAL Pro-Choice America celebrates Katie Porter’s victory in California’s 47th Congressional District
A defeat for pro-choice Republican Scott Bogue is a victory for Californians and reproductive freedom.
California — California voters have re-elected NARAL-backed Rep. Katie Porter to the U.S. House of Representatives. Porter’s victory over pro-choice Republican Scott Bogue marks a huge victory for reproductive freedom.
In response to Porter’s victory, NARAL Pro-Choice America President Mini Timmaraju published the following statement:
“NARAL Pro-Choice America, NARAL Pro-Choice California and our 371,000 members in California congratulate Rep. Kathy Porter on her re-election. The people of CA-47 deserve a champion who will fight for their basic rights, and we are grateful for Rep. Porter’s leadership in the fight for reproductive freedom.
NARAL Pro-Choice California Director Shannon Olivieri Hovis said:
“During her time in the US House of Representatives, Representative Katie Porter has championed reproductive freedom time and time again. NARAL is grateful to be with Rep. Porter’s fight for our basic rights. We look forward to continuing our work together to protect and expand reproductive freedom everybody.”
In June, the US Supreme Court reversed Roe v. Wade in its decision Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization— ending the constitutional right to abortion and opening the way for extremist state legislatures to enact a total abortion ban. The decision is already having a devastating effect across the country, with 14 states enacting emergency or total abortion bans. The people most hurt by these bans and restrictions are those who already face barriers to accessing abortion care, including women; Black, Latino/x, Asian American, Native Hawaiian, Pacific Islander, and Indigenous; for those working to make ends meet; the LGBTQ+ community; immigrants; young people; those living in rural communities; people with disabilities and other historically oppressed communities.
NARAL endorsed Porter as part of its largest-ever midterm election program to elect high- and low-ballot candidates at this critical time in the fight for reproductive freedom. The program focuses on deep investments in phone banking, door-knocking, youth organizing and analysis, and a strong communications campaign to support endorsed candidates and ballot initiatives in California, Georgia, Arizona, Michigan, Pennsylvania and Nevada. Read more about NARAL’s approved candidates here.
NARAL’s work in California includes:
- Knocked on more than 3,200 doors, made more than 32,000 calls, hosted 65 candidates and organized events, and sent nearly 247,000 text messages supporting our reproductive freedom advocates and the Proposition 1 ballot initiative;
- Honor 32 leaders for reproductive freedom running in open and challenger races and 54 champions for re-election;
- I work in the “Yes” campaign committee in the 1st proposal and work together with partners ensure that Californians vote to enshrine abortion and birth control rights in the state constitution; and
- By NARAL Pro-Choice America President Mini Timmarai fight side by side with the champions and get voted in the main race.
The key components of our mid-term campaign are:
- Harnessing the full power of our 4 million members to mobilize their communities through traditional organizing tactics. In total, we knocked on more than 330,000 doors, made almost 707,000 calls, sent more than 868,000 text messages and filled more than 4,860 volunteer shifts.
- Continuing to expand the impact of our cutting-edge research on voter views on abortion, including our innovative pro-liberty messaging, training candidates, volunteers and activists to speak to their communities as we know they align with their values and encourage them to act on their beliefs.
- Implementation of pilot program in Michigan with 14 organizers are working on seven four-year college campuses and more than 20 community college campuses to register voters and activate more than 721 volunteers.
- Endorsing candidates in over 200 races across the country federal and state offices.
- NARAL, Planned Parenthood Action Fund, and EMILY’s List announced partnership in May to jointly spend a historic $150 million in the 2022 midterms to elect champions of reproductive freedom across the country.
For more than 50 years, NARAL Pro-Choice America has fought to protect and promote reproductive freedom at the federal and state levels, including access to abortion care, birth control, pregnancy and postpartum care, and paid family leave. every the body. NARAL has 4 million members from every state and congressional district in the country, representing 8 in 10 Americans who support legal abortion.